Sunday, February 20, 2011

walking is tough!

So, I did not sleep much on Friday night after getting my cast on, and I think it was because I was so excited with the prospect of walking on it....will it hurt, etc....

So Saturday morning, I took my first tentative steps and discovered that the "freedom" the doc gave me to walk on it is not all that great. First, it's about three inches (with the "cast shoe" on the bottom....which is an essential thing to use!) higher, necessitating wearing a heel of some sort on my left foot (fine, since I have REALLY been missing wearing cute shoes!) or standing on my toes with me left foot or limping like some kind of character out of a really bad horror film. Second, the bottom of the cast is very rounded, making my gait incredibly awkward. Third, when I walk there is a lot of pressure on one particular place on my shin bone and that is rapidly becoming very, very painful. Also, any sort of extended walking makes the ankle hurt some. not bad, but some.

Wah, wah, wah. I know. I will get over it. But I think that when I am getting ready to go somewhere that requires walking long distances, I will probably take the crutches. At least for a time.

Yesterday was a pretty long and boring day, as Doug went down to work at Daniel and Mackenzie's and I stayed here in case I could help out another friends who I thought might need some company. I mostly rested and then did get up at times to do things like make the bed, sweep the floor (finally!!!!), wash and put away clothes....but I had to sit often because getting around, though great that I do not have crutches and thus have my hands free, is (as I already said before) pretty painful and tiring.

Waiting now on a ride to church, which will be great! More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment