Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quiet, quiet Sunday morning!

I guess I missed a couple of days...but it's been good.

Jennifer and Jackson came by again on Friday and brought us lunch, which of course was great. And THEN after Doug was finished working, we went on a "road trip"! I wanted to pick up something for all the kids for Valentines Day, so we went to Costco to get them some movie tickets and then to Target for cards and stuff for Jackson. I rode in the little motorized carts in both places. Felt like a cart NINJA at Costco...the motor is so very quiet that people just do NOT know you are coming up behind them, which is NOT a good thing. Those things do not stop very quickly, so I kept worrying about running someone over if they turned suddenly in front of me. No accidents, though, so that is good. Then Ben and Jenn and Jackson ended up meeting us at Target, so Jackson rode around in my lap. That was GREAT! He kept saying "EEEEEE" which is his word for "Wheeeeee", which is also what he says when riding in my car. :)
All around, a good time. It was pretty cold out, so my toes got fairly chilly. My foot and knee did not hurt that much more, though, at night, so I did manage to keep things elevated enough, I suppose.

Saturday Doug went to Daniel and Mackenzie's to work more on the encapsulation of the crawlspace project. I went along for the change of scenery. I spent the day on their couch reading and napping. I am NOT used to being so lazy and I cannot say I liked that. I liked being there, but not the enforced inactivity part. Saturday night we all met up at our house for a family dinner...all my kids and Jackson! Dinner was wonderful, and it was great having them there.

I can see how someone with mobility issues could become isolated and/or depressed. It's so easy for me to let myself feel "left out" in big group situations. Not that I usually talk all that much in big groups...I really do not. But my "role" is usually to be busy cooking or cleaning or playing with Jackson, and I could do none of that. So I just sat and listened to the conversations that others were having most of the time. In the "current events" category, I kinda suck right now because there is not a lot new going on with me and nobody wants to hear more about my ankle/knee! I do not mean any of this to complain: it was great having everyone here. Just an observation that I hope I will use in the future to be more empathetic towards those who might be feeling a bit isolated when, in reality, they are not.

Doug left early this morning (our usual time) to work sound for church. I heard him get up but did not even hear him leave. I have really been sleeping well, which is a blessing. We will see how it goes when I stop taking a pain pill at night! Also, how it is when Doug goes out of town in a week. I am frankly dreading that.  A bit later on, the Storeys and Ben and Jenn and Jackson are coming over to make enchiladas for lunch and I am very excited about that and about seeing them. AND it is a GORGEOUS day out....maybe I will go and sit on the deck or on the bench out front at some point.

The pain level is quite manageable. As I said, one pain pill at night and then either advil or Excedrine in the morning is all I am taking. I have been icing my knee (can't get to my ankle) on and off during the day. My arms and shoulders are a bit sore from the crutches, but nothing terrible at all. I am soooo tempted to remove the dressing to look at my ankle and leg. I will not do it, but I cannot wait to see what it looks like under there!

No comments:

Post a Comment