Wednesday, February 9, 2011

keeping on...

Yesterday, day 5 post-op, was a good day. I can tell I am adjusting to the crutches, but my upper back still gets stff and sore by the end of the day. Probably more from being idle so much. Again, I was fine through the day with just advil and thought I would try only advil last night as well, but THAT did not work out. By the end of the day my ankle and knee were both throbbing uncomfortably (in spite of continued icing of the knee area) and sore. I gave up and took the pain meds around midnight. 

The skin under the post-op wrapping is all crinkled from the wrapping and swelling and certain areas are beginning to itch like crazy. I had bought a spray can of stuff to use for just this purpose, and have used it some. I hope it works better under casts, as it's pretty difficult to get the little flimsy plastic tube to go underneath the surgical gauze wrapping, right to the area that is uncomfortable without the tube popping off of the spray nozzle. Plus I am definitely trying to avoid spraying around the incision area which, of course, I have not seen but can pretty definitely feel under the wrapping. It's nothing unbearable and icing my knee tends to calm everything down. 

Ben and Jenn and Jackson came by for a brief un-planned visit last night and of course that was great. Jackson picked  up the crutches (one at a time) and tried to walk with them as I do. It was pretty funny. He climbed up with me a couple times to give me a hug and mostly played with his granddaddy, which was great. Also, several friends from church called to check on me and to chat yesterday, which was really nice and helped to pass the time. I finished the movie for Ben and did some other work stuff and watched some TV shows that we had recorded. 

Today, day 6, I plan to write thank-yous for Doug to take to church, and also record some data and music for him to take for rehearsal and for the service computer. One kind of sad thing is that Sarah and Karyn cannot come up tonight, but I completely understand why and will be fine. I am sorely tempted to try to go with Doug to dinner just to see everyone, but that would just be silly. I hope Doug and I can do some sort of errand or something some time soon...I will even ride in a motorized cart! We have already planned to go down to Tucker on Saturday to work on Daniel and Mackenzie's project and I will be able to at least sit on a different couch for a day. And then the kids are all coming over to cook dinner! So that will be a fun day! 

It's all going well, though. Really well. And all of this is making me appreciate being mobile and able-bodied and I hope to never take that for granted again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment