Saturday, November 27, 2010

A list of things to be thankful for...

So, I am noticing and kind of trying to pay attention to things that I won't be able to do for a while after the surgery. I am doing this for a couple of reasons: to prepare myself and/or figure out a way to do the things I really need to do; and to remind myself now how thankful I am that I can do these small things. And I will again. Just not for a time, and I don't want to be snitty about that when it happens. It's just a part of it.

So here are some of the things I have noticed so far:
-lighting the fire in the fireplace (at least I will have to drastically change the way I do it. I cannot reach the gas thingey and light the logs without kind of sitting on my right leg on the hearth, which I do not think will be a good idea for a while...
-taking a bath- I keep trying to figure out a way I could do this and hang my leg over the side, but getting in and out would surely be interesting to say the least. Fork lifts could be involved.
-Sweeping, vacuuming, general cleaning. I will need to get things really clean right before the surgery and then just hang in there. I will get antsy if Doug has to do a lot of this...and he almost certainly will, with a dog that sheds like ours does...
-walk holding Jackson's hand, or rather with him holding my finger. This one makes me sad, but he might get a kick out of the crutches. Hopefully he can sit with me and cuddle some.
-walk the dog. On crutches this would be a disaster.
-Drive. I have not idea how long this will last. I cannot imagine driving with only my left foot...sounds very unsafe, not to mention impossible with my standard trans mini. This one will be a huge challenge.

So these are things I currently tend to take for granted. I don't want to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment